- Information Modelling and Databases
- Research Seminar Data Science
- Research Internship
- Master thesis
- Bachelor thesis
Please contact me for open Research Internships, BSc thesis and MSc thesis projects.
- Federated Search (Data Science):
Research approaches that combine the results from multiple, independent and non-cooperative (in the sense that they do not share their index) search engines
- Federated Learning (Data Science):
Research approaches that divides machine learning over multiple independent and private data sources
- Conversational Search (Data Science):
Can we use techniques from information retrieval or machine learning to improve open source virtual assistants like Stanford’s Almond?
- COVID-19 search:
Design a search engine for researches that work on cures and vaccins of COVID-19
- Ephemeral Social networking (Software Science):
Based on the W3C standard ActivityPub, design an ephemeral social network (in which most posts are removed after some time) and compare its network/storage/memory/cpu load compared to durable solutions like Mastodon.
- Secure federated communication (Digital Security):
Design/adapt an end-to-end encrypted solution for ActivityPub-based social networking: How to handle multiple devices and heterogeneous networks?
- Transitioning the RU to self-hosted, federated, solutions (Information Sciences):
For, for instance, self-hosted web analytics, social networking, or video streaming: What are the user requirements? What solutions meet these requirements? What are additional benefits (for instance more autonomy for employees and students)? How to show this with a proof-of-concept.
- With Nedap Healthcare, Groenlo Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing:
Clinical Natural Language Processing / De-identification of medical records.
- Ranking for Clarin (European Research Infrastructure for Language Resources and Technology) federated content search:
How to model ranking, and how does it improve the quality (and efficiency) of Clarin’s content search engine?
- Research Experiments in Databases and Information Retrieval (REDI): Master Course Computer Science (2010-2013, 2015, 2017) [course syllabus]
- Foundations of Information Retrieval: Master Course Computer Science & Human Media Interaction (2016-2018; joint effort with Theo Huibers and Dolf Trieschnigg) [course info]
- Advanced Research Projects in Information Retrieval: Master Course Computer Science & Human Media Interaction (2016-2018; joint effort with Theo Huibers and Dolf Trieschnigg) [course info]
- Search Engine Technology: CuriousU Summer School course (2017, joint effort with Dolf Trieschnigg) [course info]
- Data Science: M.Sc. Course Computer Science & Business Information Technology [course info] (2013-2017)
- Information Retrieval: Master Course Computer Science & Human Media Interaction (joint effort with Theo Huibers and Dolf Trieschnigg) [course info] (2004-2015)
- Web Science: B.Sc. Course. High Tech Human Touch [course info], 2015
- Managing Big Data: Master Course Computer Science (joint effort with Robin Aly) [course info] (2012-2015).
- Advanced Database Systems: Graduate Course Computer Science [course info] (2013-2015).
- Databases: Undergraduate course Computer Science [course info] (2013-2015).
- Data & Information: Undergraduate Module [course info]
- XML & Databases 1: Master Course Computer Science (joint effort with Maurice van Keulen) [course info]
- Distributed Data Processing using MapReduce: Master Course Computer Science (joint effort with Maarten Fokkinga) [course info], 2009-2011
- Advanced Database Systems: Master Course Computer Science [vist], 2001-2009
- XML & Databases 2: Master Course Computer Science (joint effort with Maurice van Keulen) [vist], 2003-2009
- Study advisor for the Computer Science master track Information Systems Engineering, 2004 – 2007
- Bijzondere Onderwerpen Gegevensbanken (“Capita Selecta Databases’’), 2001 – 2003
- Gedistribueerde databases en middlewaretechnologie, 2001 – 2003
- Informatica en Taal (“Computer Science and Language’’), 2001
- Lectures “Introduction to Multimedia’’, “Multimedia Databases’’, and “Multimedia Retrieval’’ in the course Advanced distributed multimedia database systems 1, 2004
- Lectures “Data Models’’ and “Storage and Access Methods’’ in Databasetoepassingen (‘’Database Applications’’), 2002
- Lectures “Object-Oriented Databases’’ in Gegevensbanken, (“Databases’’), 2002
- Lectures “Information Retrieval’’, “Markov models’’ and “Part-of-Speech tagging’’ in the course
Taaltechnologie (“Language Technology’’), 1997 – 2004
- Lectures “Language Technology for Information Retrieval’’ in the course Information Retrieval en Kennisbeheer, 1999 – 2003